One of the projects I would like to do at some point is to create a Galileo style telescope. The main problem is finding lens grinding kits. They used to be available but seem to no longer be out there. I will likely need to simply buy premade lenses. There are a number of simple kits available so getting lenses will be doable as well as simplistic telescopes. The trick will be figuring out how to build a more properly medieval recreation of the actual telescope. Or at least a reasonable facsimile.
- The Galileo Project
- Wikipedia entry on Galileo
- A Modern “Galileo” telescope kit
- Plans for a simple “build at home” style of “Galileo” telescope
- California Literary Review: Celebrating Galileo in Florence
- Wikipedia: Planisphere
- Create your own Planisphere
- Early Telescope Entry on Wikiversity
- Historical Timeline of Optics
- Moon Map
Possible material for a class on Galileo and his telescope.
- Science Adventure Telescope Kit
- 24 simple telescopes. Expensive but for a class it could be worth while.